Saturday, February 11, 2006

um. wow.

The film made in 1949 is based on the book and stars Gary Cooper as Howard Roark, Patricia Neal as Dominique Francon, Raymond Massey as Gail Wynand and Kent Smith as Peter Keating. The film was directed by King Vidor, with the screenplay written by Ayn Rand.


Popular Culture Reference

A worn paperback copy of the novel appears briefly, with negative context, in the movie Dirty Dancing

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (1943)

PART ONE

  • "A house can have integrity, just like a person; and just as seldom." [Howard Roark]
  • "I don't build in order to have clients; I have clients in order to build." [Howard Roark]
  • "But you see, I have, let's say, sixty years to live. Most of that time will be spent working. I've chosen the work I want to do. If I find no joy in it, then I'm only condemning myself to sixty years of torture. And I can find the joy only if I do my work in the best way possible to me. But the best is a matter of standards--and I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one." [Howard Roark]

PART TWO

  • "Mr. Roark, we’re alone here. Why don’t you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us." - "But I don’t think of you." [Elsworth Toohey and Howard Roark]

PART

  • "It's said that the worst thing one can do to a man is to kill his self-respect. But that's not true. Self-respect is something that can't be killed. The worst thing is to kill a man's pretense at it." [Dominique Keating]
  • "Suffering? I'm not conscious of having shown that." "You haven't. That's what I meant. No happy person can be quite so impervious to pain." [Dominique Keating and Gail Wynand]

PART FOUR

  • "You’ll get everything society can give a man. You’ll keep all the money. You’ll take any fame or honor anyone might want to grant. You’ll accept such gratitude as the tenants might feel. And I--I’ll take what nobody can give a man, except himself. I will have built Cortlandt." - "You’re getting more than I am, Howard." [Howard Roark and Peter Keating]
  • "If you learn how to rule one single man's soul, you can get the rest of mankind. It's the soul, Peter, the soul. Not whips or swords or fire or guns. That's why the Caesars, the Attilas, the Napoleons were fools and did not last. We will. The soul, Peter, is that which can't be ruled. It must be broken. Drive a wedge in, get your fingers on it--and the man is yours." [Ellsworth Toohey]
  • "Build it as a monument to that spirit which is yours...and could have been mine." [Gail Waynand]
  • "Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision." [Howard Roark]
  • "It's good to suffer. Don't complain. Bear, bow, accept - and be grateful God has made you suffer. For this makes you better than the people who are laughing and happy. If you don't understand this, don't try to understand. Everything bad comes from the mind, because the mind asks too many questions. It is blessed to believe, not to understand. So if you didn't get passing grades, be glad of it. It means that you are better than the smart boys who think too much and too easily" [Ellsworth Toohey]
  • This is pity, he thought, and then he lifted his head in wonder. He thought that there must be something terribly wrong with a world in which this monstrous feeling is called a virtue. (all that is from wikki thing..there, credit given..good 'nuff and 'nuff said)

Cody, all I can say is wow. We are rooting for you.


You have worked hard. The universe is unfolding, this will happen for you.


Wow.


AND.

we will fill you in when you get home.

Comments on "um. wow."

 

post a comment

Links to "um. wow."

Create a Link